28 June 2016

Teapots underway - a sneak peek

The last couple of weeks I have been making teapots for the Annual Sydney Teapot Show at the Innercity Clayworkers in Glebe.

A link here to see last year's winners: http://www.clayworkers.com.au/content/sydney-teapot-show-2014

Teapots are always a little tricky for me, if only because I only make them once a year...

There are so many components to consider and make and and put together and decorate...

I do love the challenge and strive to make a better more interesting teapot each year (with mixed results)...

Here are a few of the elements that are slowly coming together...

 First I throw the body and then the lid.

I have thrown two different styles of lid this year and find that the style pictured is best if not handled until leather hard.
I stick a small batt to the wheelhead and throw the lid on that so it can be taken off easily...




Before
and

After...



Next I throw the spouts.  The weather has been so cold and damp that I threw these on a different day while I waited to be able to turn the bodies and lids.



Once the body is trimmed I can attach the spout...

first the holes need to be made - you might notice I am using a white clay and a buff clay, two of each underway..




Once the spout is on I can attach some handles (no pic) that I pull and allow to firm up first.

Then I can start to decorate.  In the one shown I am carving and adding some underglaze too... 

So there you are... maybe you will get to see the finish ones at the Teapot Show.



1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

looking forward to seeing the finished teapots