02 July 2016

Australian Ceramics Assn Members exhibition 2016

I recently attended an exhibition at the Manly Museum and Art Gallery on the other side of the harbour.

The weather was a bit iffy so we drove there this time.  I'm glad we did as the wind came up in the afternoon and I'm not a good sailor even on the harbour ferries.

This was a curated exhibition of applications from members of the Australian Ceramics Association called OverUnderSidewaysDown.

The curator was Glenn Barkley who will be the judge at the competition my pottery group are running in September - see about that here: http://porthackingpotters.blogspot.com.au/

Most of the works were of a very modern abstract with a bit of constructionism and naive influences (IMHO).

I must admit to preferring the traditional pottery shapes but I was impressed with the arty creativity of many others...

I'll just add some photos with the tags following and you can decide what you like then.

I missed the tag for the Aboriginal artist who made those beautiful large pots, his name is Rupert Jack from Ernabella/Pukatja.

Also thought it interesting that the gallery chose to put the work on trestle tables rather than plinths...












Jenny Orchard - check out her website here: http://jennyorchard.com/press/



















6 comments:

Linda Starr said...

lots of unique pieces, thanks for posting

Anna said...

Hi Linda.. such an interesting exhibition, glad you liked it.

smartcat said...

Lots of different work there. Have to say I am not thrilled with the table displays!

Anna said...

Hi Smartcat... some very creative work and I know what you mean about the tables... it was OK when you were close but from the edge of the room the legs dominate too much for me...

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. My fingers would have been itching to stroke, pat and feel the weight of some of these pieces. (I resist, but they do itch.)
Thank you - for your visit to me, and for taking us along to this show.

Anna said...

Hi Elephant's Child, nice to have you return the blog visit. Yes, sometimes you have to keep your hands behind your back when looking at 3D art :)