30 September 2017

Long Weekend Markets

this weekend is a holiday weekend in NSW.
The holiday is to celebrate the introduction of the 8hr working day

"Labour Day is an annual public holiday that celebrates the eight-hour working day, a victory for workers in the mid-late 19th century.  The argument for the eight-hour day was based on the need for each person to have eight hours labour, eight hours recreation and eight hours rest."

It is awful to think of the hours people were expected to work previously... of course many people who are on a set wage work longer hours these days but generally they are paid a higher salary.

So hopefully people in a holiday mood will come along to the markets at nearby Engadine and be prepared to buy buy buy... fingers crossed..


and I hope to get into the studio this week to get some more stock made...




8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope you have a wonderful, productive and profitable long weekend. And are able to work less than eight hours each day.

Peter said...

Hi Anna,
I hope the market is successful. The eight hour day was a wonderful thing, but it saddens me how many of the working conditions that people fought so hard for have slipped away over the last couple of decades on our NZ side of the "ditch"! I do so hope that 8 hour days and the goodness of weekends are valued and nurtured by workers and employers alike!

Note to self.... I must make sure that I have tea breaks and the occasional weekend off! :-)

Linda Starr said...

hope you sell a lot, I need to get to the studio too but the weather has been so nice lately I've taken advantage of it

Yvonne said...

Have just found you blog :-) Thanks for posting the link.
Hope you have a good market Anna.
I have had to cancel my market today at Picton sadly. Foot is better but not up to that yet :-(
Yvonne.

Anna said...

Hi EC thank you... I sold a few things but most people were out of town I think!

Anna said...

Hi Peter Yes same here. You don't know what you have until it is lost! The Unions were demonised and many were doing things wrong but the workers are the losers. Working for ones self can mean you have a hard task master so I hope you take your own advice.

Anna said...

Hi Linda that sounds good too... I also need to get into our garden which has been neglected plus we need rain and it is suffering from the dry conditions..

Anna said...

Hi Yvonne
Thanks for finding my blog.. I hope your foot is better before the Christmas rush of market buying... I need more stock!! Isn't that a lovely complaint to have?